Created by Kaitlin Ryan, bartender at PABU Izakaya, San Francisco this is a soft, silky, yet complex drink inspired by Thai cuisine. “The bourbon complements the vegetal spice notes of the cilantro, while the fresh pop of mint, brightness of the lime, and coconut round things out and tie it all together,” says Ryan.
Put More Green in Your Glass: Herbal Whisky Cocktails
- 1½ oz. Four Roses yellow label (or other bourbon)
- ½ oz. cilantro-mint syrup (recipe below)
- ½ oz. coconut cream or purée
- ½ oz. lime juice
- Dried rose buds (optional), cilantro bouquet for garnish
Shake all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Strain over fresh crushed ice in a rocks glass. Garnish with rose tea buds and bouquet of cilantro.
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 30 mint leaves
- 15 cilantro leaves
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Do not boil. Strain and let cool in a glass container. Keeps refrigerated for up to a week.