The chiles in this drink, which was created by Jason Kosmas, beverage director at Hai Hospitality in Austin bring some heat to a traditional Whisky Ginger.
- 1¾ oz. Toki Japanese whisky (or other Japanese blended whisky)
- ½ oz. lime juice
- ½ oz. Thai chile shrub (recipe below)
- 3 oz. Fever Tree ginger beer
- Candied or freshly sliced chile for garnish
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Add ice and shake briefly until chilled. Strain over crushed ice in a rocks glass. Garnish with candied chiles from making the shrub or fresh chiles.
Try this: Use the shrub in lemonade or to sweeten tea.
Thai Chile Shrub
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Thai chiles, thinly sliced
- ¾-inch piece of ginger, julienned
- 1½ tsp. champagne vinegar
Place all ingredients except vinegar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Strain into a food-safe container and blend with vinegar. Reserve pieces of chile for garnish. Keep refrigerated for up to seven days.