“Pairing the bittersweet and herbal flavor of Campari with the toasted caramel notes of dark rum allows you to experience a full range of tastes that only improve when mixed in this Hot Buttered Toddy,” says Kate Bolton, owner of Mint and Mirth in Portland, Oregon. “The vermouth adds balance, and the maple butter is just the icing on top.”
- 1½ oz. Appleton Reserve Rum (or other dark rum)
- ¾ oz. Campari
- ¾ oz. Cinzano 1757 vermouth
- 1 tablespoon maple butter (recipe below)
- 1 dash vanilla extract
- 3 oz. boiling water
- Garnish: half orange wheel, studded with cloves
In a footed glass or mug, add rum, Campari, vermouth, maple butter, and vanilla. Pour hot water on top and stir briskly until butter is dissolved and well integrated. Garnish with clove-studded half orange wheel.
How to Make Maple Butter
- ½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
Using a high-speed blender, whip all ingredients until smooth. Keeps in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.