This cocktail was created by Angel Teta, bar manager at Ataula in Portland. “Manzanilla means chamomile in Spanish, so it’s natural to bring those two ingredients together,” Teta says. “The tannins in the tea bring out those notes in the sherry as well in this light, easy-drinking cocktail.”
Whisky in Bloom: More Edible Flower Cocktails
- 1¾ oz. Angel’s Envy bourbon (or any high-rye bourbon)
- ¾ oz. La Cigarerra manzanilla sherry (or any quality manzanilla)
- ½ oz. honey chamomile syrup (recipe below)
- ¼ oz. lemon juice
- Garnish: borage blossoms, pansies, or violets
Shake all ingredients with ice for about 15 seconds. Strain into a fancy teacup, add fresh ice, and garnish with edible flowers.
Honey Chamomile Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 5 bags quality chamomile tea
- 2 cups honey
Bring water to a boil. Add tea bags and steep 10 minutes. Remove tea bags, add honey, and stir to incorporate. Keep refrigerated for up to one month.