Whisky and orange is a classic combination, but blood orange gives this cocktail, created by Brock Schulte, bar director of The Monarch in Kansas City, Mo., the perfect wintry twist. A touch of smoke accentuates the rich, tart citrus flavors, Schulte says.
Looking for More Citrus and Spice Whisky Cocktails?
- 1 oz. Russell’s Reserve 10 year old (or other Kentucky straight bourbon)
- ¾ oz. Cocchi Dopo Teatro Vermouth Amaro
- ½ oz. Leopold Bros. Michigan Tart Cherry liqueur
- ¾ oz. grilled blood orange juice (recipe below)
- Garnish: applewood chips and brandied Luxardo cherry
Hard shake all ingredients with ice. Place wood chips on a plate and light with a torch. Cover with a chilled Nick and Nora glass for about 20 seconds to trap the smoke inside. Double strain the cocktail into the glass. Garnish with a brandied Luxardo cherry on a cocktail pick.
Grilled Blood Orange Juice
Cut one blood orange in half. Using a grill pan or panini press, grill orange halves until grill marks appear. When cool enough to handle, juice.